Here are the detailed policy promises for transport made by the Labour Party in the 2017 election campaign.
Probably the best parts of this policy are:
- Light rail from the CBD to the airport.
- BRT from Howick to the airport
- Increasing the electric train services etc
- Increasing cross town bus services
Questionable aspects of the policy include:
- Auckland Regional fuel tax. This should be called what it is - a rates increase by another name, since almost everyone depends on motor vehicles to move around the city at some point. In addition, economists have estimated the tax will cost everyone an average of $10 a week and that it will be a regressive tax affecting the poor. Congestion charging should be implemented instead.